Truly one of the great heroes of Rockaway. A completely dedicated and selfless human being.  Many of Rockaway's youth of the 50s and 60s are forever indebted to him. I am sure that you could fill this board with tributes to this great man.

Joel Hamberger


Leon Locke, owner and publisher of the WAVE, Rockaway's weekly newspaper, passed away on Friday, February 23rd, 2001.  Leon was also one of the founders of the Peninsula Volunteer Ambulance Corps., which existed from 1974 until 1996.  Leon made many contributions to the Rockaway community, including the Rockaway Museum, the Rockaway Chamber of Commerce, the Queensboro Public Library.  He certainly left a legacy in the Rockaway Community.


Mrs. Dorothy B. Martin, 90, has passed away.  In 1932, she and her husband opened a Caramel Popcorn Store in Rockaway's Playland Amusement Park, which led to the operation of several foods stands including "Martin's Corner" at Beach 98th Street and Rockaway Beach Boulevard on the boardwalk in Rockaway Beach, NY.


Born August 18, 1928, the son of a Blacksmith. 

Starting his life, he swung his father's hammer as he learned the trade of a steel man. Most noting his physical stature said he was the Man of Steel. His repertoire expanded to truck building and mechanics. However in 1964, John changed gears and became co-founder and President of Quadrozzi Concrete Corporation, a company now celebrating its 40th year anniversary as NY's oldest and most respected name in concrete. The company John sculpted from conception has become synonymous with quality. With his dedicated family at his side, John thrusted Quadrozzi into the major leagues with its 1st mammoth project, the Cross Bay Bridge - gracefully swung across Jamaica Bay into the Rockaway's to John and his company's birthplace. John then swung Quadrozzi across the bay, as it increased its range and added multiple concrete plants throughout the boroughs. Now, as the industry recognized pioneer and leader in high strength concrete, Quadrozzi Concrete supports the all- concrete Trump World Tower on Manhattan's 1st Avenue - standing virtuously as the tallest residential building in the world, and the AOL Time Warner building on Manhattan's Columbus Circle - the Making of a Landmark and single largest and most expensive private building project in North America's history. It is said that these two projects, requiring a consistent delivery of the highest strength concrete ever produced in the city, could not have been built if not for Quadrozzi.  John's legacy continues as the company he created actively supplies Building 7 of the new World Trade Center. 

A philanthropist, John generously gave to all that asked - especially his hometown, the Rockaways. He was a Rockaway Chamber of Commerce - Member of the Presidents Club and three times Man of the Year, Rockaway's Peninsula Hospital - Board Member, former President and Co-founder of the Association of NYC Concrete Producers and recipient of countless awards for his contribution to the industry. Loyal son of the late Costantino and surviving Catherine Quadrozzi. Beloved husband of Theresa Quadrozzi. Devoted father of their four daughters Juliana, Regina, Theresa, Catherine and their only son John, Jr. Cherished grandfather of their children Darien, Quinn, Leonor, Theresa and Isabella. John died Sunday, March 7, in the year 2004, 1 year after a long fight against multiple ailments. He defied medical science as he cheated death again and again. Those who said he was the man of steel were wrong, he was "The Man of Concrete"


My  beloved husband, Herbert Rosenthal (Brooklyn Tech 1943) passed away on 12/26/05 in our home in Sarasota, FL after a year long struggle with cancer. He was surrounded by his loving family which included me, Freda Gerson Rosenthal (FRHS 1945), his two sons and their families. He was a Belle Harbor native and was an avid fisherman and boater. He will be sorely missed by his family and many friends.


My four children, Andrea, Margo, Peter and Carrie Hirshman all went to grammar school with Jesse. My son Peter (Hirshman, FRHS 1974) and Jesse soon became dear, dear friends.  Jesse took the "newcomers" under his wing and his love and devotion to Peter and to all of us was so deeply appreciated.  So actually, Jesse was not a FRHS student, although many of his friends did go there.  Jesse was granted a scholarship to Dwight High School in NYC, graduating in 1974, and then he went on to Drew College in Madison, NJ.  Peter and Jesse remained friends through high school and college and then lost touch.  

Jesse was a beloved presence in Far Rockaway for many years. To his family (particularly to April with whom I spoke several times during those school years) I want to extend my most sincere sympathy.  What a deep loss to all is Jesse's passing; he will always be remembered.  

Myrna Charry 


I am very sad to report that Mr. Anthony L. Di Napoli  (Mr. "D")  passed away a few months ago. He was the school's music teacher, chorus director, and retired as Dean of the school. For those of you who did not know Mr."D" you may have seen the movie, "Mr. Holland's Opus," with Richard Dreyfuss. If you gave that movie an Italian twist you would have a glimpse of the personality and character of Mr. "D".  He conducted the Junior High School  (JHS 180) chorus of over 200 kids for many years. The chorus was all inclusive especially for those who had limited musical abilities. You made a commitment to be at the school at 8:00 a.m. sharp twice a week. Sopranos on Monday. Altos on Tuesday. Tenors on Wednesday, Basses on Thursday, and the entire chorus on Friday. In the 1970s, the chorus was chosen by the New York City Board of Education over every High School chorus as the only four-part chorus to perform at Lincoln Center.
Mr. "D" was well respected by his peers, students, and parents. When the music program was eliminated due to budget cuts, he became Dean of the school. When one of the kids got into trouble he was sent to Mr. "D". The office called the student's mother to come to the school. The kid was very smug and waited patiently for his mother to arrive. When his mother came to the office, she started to hug Mr. "D". The kid was completely bewildered and started to tell his mother what "supposedly occurred".  What her son did not know was that his mother was in the chorus many years ago and was a student in the music class. She told her son to "shut up" and Mr."D" told her what happened. When her son tried to interrupt Mr. Di Napoli, she grabbed her son and started to smack him. "If Mr. "D" said you did that, that's all I need to know".
When my daughter was little, we were at home watching a movie. In the middle of the movie, I heard a familiar refrain,  and startled her by bursting into a full throated version of "Every Time I Feel The Spirit," the closing song of every choral performance. Mr. "D" touched hundreds of students and left a legacy of accomplishment in all of us.
Jack Ryger